Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Student Council...

Last week Mikayla decided that she was going to run for student council. I am very proud of her. It is such a big deal to even want to try out for student council. Mikayla was required to get up in front of her class and give a speech about why she deserved to be in student council. Six people tried out for the two spots in her class. I happened to be a school while she was giving her speech and I got to listen in... (I asked her if it was ok that I stayed...I didn't want to make her nervous). Mikayla did a great job. Mikayla wanted to help out planning the spirit days at school. Some of her ideas were a dress up day, where you dress like your favorite book character, also she wanted to have a teacher vs. student ice cream eating contest.

Unfortunately Mikayla didn't win, but she did a great job. I am really proud of her for even following through with it with such confidence. At her age there is no way I would have so boldly gotten in front of the class and read a speech. Maybe next year will be her year!

We needed a treat for the class to encourage voting, so I made "ice cream sundaes" that were really cupcakes. They were a hit, but just not enough to get the winning number of votes... Oh well we gave it our best shot. Next year will be the big come back... Maybe...

No comments: