Wednesday, May 6, 2009

5K...We did it!

So the whole season, that's 10 weeks, we worked up to the 5K. Well it was finally here. We did a practice 5K the week before and that didn't go to well. At the practice Grandpa Mitch, Mikayla, Gavin, and I all did the 5K. It took over and hour. There were lots of tears from Mikayla asking why we had to do this. I told her it was so we could bond, and she told me that we spend enough time together... I had to encourage her through the whole 5K (13 laps at Rim Rock) but she did it.

Then it was race day. Daddy and Gavin decided that they were going to do the 5K with us. I warned Cory that it wasn't about him, and that it was going to take a long time to finish...

Here we are before the race. Mikayla was number 900 and I was 901. There were 1200 people registered to do the 5k. Now this was a woman only race, so if you were a male you could do the race, but you couldn't cross the finish line. So there were probably a few more then the 1200...that's a lot of people for our area.
Here we are on the move...

Daddy wasn't getting enough of a work out so he jogged with Gav on his shoulders for the last mile or so... Crazy Dad. They gave out treats during the race like M&M, orange slices, and water. Of course guess what Gavin has...!

Here she is running up to the finish line... YIPPY! We finished in 51 mins. That is a lot better then our practice race. Good job to Mikayla!

There was a backup at the finish line...but we made it.

Here we are when it was all over. We luckily finished the race before it started to pour. The rain really started to fall when we were getting in the car. Thank goodness the race started on time.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a great experience for her! I promised Emily that if she works up to a mile, she and I will do a race together. (Right now she runs the last 1/8th mile with me)